April Dacas, VP
Common Problems For Florida Roofs
Florida may be a grand and glorious place to live, but its climate can wreak havoc on your roof. Sustaining damage becomes especially prevalent in the summer months, when storms, excessive heat and humidity, and gale-force winds beat down on your roof, testing its strength to the limit.
From broken and missing shingles to complete destruction, some of these issues may not be visible to an untrained eye, but this does not mean they aren’t doing significant damage to your home’s structure. Knowing what evidence to look for, what to do, and who to call will be essential to protecting your home and roof from damage. Read on to learn more about common roofing problems of Florida residents, and what you can do to protect your property:
● Roof leaks--Severe weather conditions like heat, excessive amounts of rain, and high winds all contribute to weakened areas of the roof that can let in moisture and debris. Leaks can also develop due to poor maintenance issues and roof materials that have exceeded their lifespan. What to do: An ounce of prevention is well worth a pound of cure; have your roof scheduled for regular maintenance and repair, and you are unlikely to have a leak situation come up that cannot be attended to with minor repairs.
● Punctures--Roof punctures can develop as a result of storm damage, sharp tools, nails, or other objects that drag across your roof, and even animals scurrying across. Whatever the reason, prompt attention is needed to prevent further damage from occurring. What to do: Frequent inspection after repair work and storm damage will help to proactively manage punctures and tears, making sure you don’t face significant damage later. Schedule regular inspections to make sure areas of your roof aren’t compromised.
● Cracking sealant--It is easy for sealant around flashings and skylights to dry out and crack under oppressive heat; this cracking sealant can open gaps in your roofline for moisture and debris to seep through.
What to do: First, call a professional roofing contractor who is trained to identify the primary cause of your sealant failure. They know the correct type of sealant for your roof and the environment in which you live, and are qualified to strip and replace old sealant.
● Issues with flashing--A flashing protects roof creases and areas around vents, pipes, and skylights. Flashings sit under existing shingles and provide an extra layer of protection against the elements. As a roof begins to degrade, the flashing can become exposed and damaged due to the elements. Once flashing is cracked or worn, it can lead to leaks and damage to the interior of your home. What to do: Have a professional contractor assess and determine whether your flashing needs to be repaired or replaced. Following manufacturing guidelines and properly installing new flashing will end leaks and damage, making your home water and debris tight once more.
● Alligatoring: Alligatoring is a sign that your roof is aging past its prime; dried out materials produce deep cracking and pitting, resulting in places that moisture and debris can build up. This deep cracking can sometimes resemble an alligator’s dry hide. What to do: Call a licensed roofing contractor today to get an inspection of your roof. They will evaluate your roof, gutters, and downspouts and will give you more information on how your roof is aging, and whether you need to take additional precautions to protect it.
● Improper repairs--Even the best-laid plans often go awry; you can hire a contractor and have grand plans to repair and restore your roof, only to find out that improper materials and procedures have been used, leaving you with additional issues to clean up after your contractor is gone. What to do: Don’t be afraid to ask questions. A licensed, bonded, insured contractor will have no problem handing over documents that attest to their professionalism and competency. They should also be willing and able to provide references from other satisfied clients who have retained their services. If you don’t feel comfortable after talking to a contractor, move on. Find one that checks out on all levels.
Speaking of qualified……..
Len’s roofing and their team of qualified professionals are committed to providing you with the best service and installation that you expect in a top-notch roofing expert. Over twenty-five years of experience with inspection, repair, and installation make us one of the premier roofers in Florida; contact us today for advice and service that will give you peace of mind. Call us today at 941-896-7897 or visit us at www.lensroofing.com.