You have not likely given much thought to your roof as a homeowner unless you spring a leak or lose shingles in a turbulent storm. However, once the damage has been done, we find ourselves scrambling to find a contractor who will do quality work at what is considered a fair price.
What do YOU know about roofing?
If you’re like many homeowners, you don’t know much about that all-important element of your home that offers shelter, protection, and energy-efficient heating and cooling of your home year-round. Finding a contractor is a daunting process, and one that is not to be taken lightly if you don’t want to be taken to the cleaners. If you are facing a roof repair or replacement, consider asking your contractor some critical questions--not just for understanding, but to let them know that you’ve done your homework and that you mean business. Read on to see some top questions you might add to your next screening appointment:
Questions you must ask your roofer
Whether you understand roofing jargon or not, these questions should be asked of your contractor to ensure that the two of you can start and maintain a profitable relationship, one in which you benefit from quality work at a fair price. Add them to your interview sheet, and get ready to write down some valuable information as you select the contractor that best fits your needs:
1. How long have you been in business? The answer to this question determines whether you choose to do business with someone or not. Most people prefer a bit of experience and some certifications under the belt; they’ll need to prove that they are trustworthy when completing work. If a contractor dodges this question, do some additional due diligence on the company or choose to keep looking.
2. What kind of insurance do you have? Roofing is a dangerous job, not only for the workers themselves but also for you as a homeowner. A reputable contractor carries both workman’s compensation and general liability to cover any issues or accidents that happen to you and others while on the job. General liability will also cover damage to equipment and to your home if problems arise.
3. Do you have any referrals? Talking to others who have had work done by the company that you’re considering is very revealing. You can ask questions such as:
Did they get work done in a timely manner?
Were they professional?
Was pricing fair?
Did any issues arise with work quality or completion?
If a contractor is sketchy or hesitant to give you referrals, something’s fishy. Dig a little deeper or look elsewhere to get your work done.
4. What kind of licensing do you have? A company that isn’t properly licensed is not a company you should consider employing. A reputable roofer will have appropriate licensing in both the city and state they wish to do business in. Ask for proof of valid, up-to-date licensing before signing on the dotted line.
5. Do you have a warranty? What does it include? A company that does quality work will not hesitate to offer a warranty on parts and services. These warranty offerings should include both parts and service as well as installation work. Ask about warranty details and additional prices--if any--to determine whether this is your preferred company.
6. Who is my site contact if I have questions? A large roofing company will employ dozens of professionals who may show up on the day of your installation. However, there is a taskmaster assigned to your job, and knowing who this point of contact is can save you both valuable time and money if you have questions. Ensure you know who this person is, and how to contact them prior to your work start date.
7. How long will the job take? Roofing is inconvenient for both you and for your neighbors. Having a timeline or projected completion date will give you and the neighborhood something to look forward to. Stay on top of any changes, and communicate to your neighbors if any timeline changes occur to avoid unpleasant, strained relationships after work is done.
Len’s Roofing: Your preferred professionals
Len’s roofing professionals offer top-notch sales and service at competitive prices. We specialize in all aspects of roofing--from repair and replacement to pressure cleaning and gutters, we have all of your roofing needs covered. Contact us today for a no-obligation consultation; visit https://www.lensroofing.com/ for more information or call us at 941-896-7897.